Skip to main content

NMR Artist Spotlight: Exclusive Interview with Poet, Dancer, Spiritual Artist Irina Kuzminsky

NMR Artist Spotlight: Exclusive Interview with Poet and Spiritual Artist Irina Kuzminsky (aka Irinushka)

Today on the New Music Resources Artist Spotlight Series we will focus on the mesmerizing music and poetry of Artist Irinushka.

What inspires your music? What is your story?

The impetus to all my work has come from my poetry. In fact, dance, music and poetry have always been a part of my life, and poetry is at the heart of my work. I started writing music as a result of Dancing with Dark Goddesses, a one woman dance, poetry and music fusion performance which I created first to accompany the launch of my first poetry collection Dancing with Dark Goddesses (Awen 2009) at the Heaven's Gate William Blake Festival in England. The show needed a music track and I soon realized I would need to create it myself. Since then I have gone on to perform the show in the UK (Stroud, Bath), New York (Manhattan Theatre Source, Dixon Place, Producers Club), Germany (Saarlouis) and Melbourne (Club Voltaire and most recently Dancehouse for the Melbourne Fringe 2016). 

My poetry has remained the greatest inspiration for my music and I find that it is often the poem or text itself which tells me what the music should be, hence the eclectic mix of styles. I am now more consciously working within the art song tradition and I would like my work to be in its way a part of the evolution of the art song in the twenty-first century. Born in Melbourne of White Russian descent, my background encompasses university research as well as comprehensive training in classical ballet, piano and singing, and wide-ranging performance experience in Australia, Germany and the UK as a pianist, singer and dancer, including recitals, opera, theatre shows, cross-arts projects, and dance theatre.

I completed my BMus Hons at the Melbourne Conservatorium in piano and voice and went on to win a Commonwealth Scholarship to Oxford University. I wrote my doctorate there in Modern Languages and Comparative Literature on the “Language of Women”, and was elected Junior Research Fellow in Humanities at Wolfson College – only to return to doing what I really believe in and love – Music and the Arts. So far I have independently released three albums of my work: the more experimental "Would That I Could" (2011), "Roads Travelled" (2014) which rose to #46 on the global ZoneMusicReporter charts for World/New Age music having received positive press and extensive airplay on US college radio along the way with minimal promotion, and the about to be released "Orpheus Sings" which traverses a wide-ranging mix from contemporary art songs to experimental hybrids, rock opera, New Age folk and spoken word, and theatrical landscapes. A new album, “A Net of Souls”, is nearing completion and is more contemporary classical/experimental in style. My poetry and articles have been published in the UK, US and Australia in the Esoteric Quarterly, Acumen, Poetrix, Arts and Academic Review, poetrychaikhana.com, Caduceus; the anthologies Soul of the Earth (Awen 2011), Diamond Cutters (Tayen Lane 2016), and the collections Dancing with Dark Goddesses (Awen 2009), light muses (with artist Jan Delaney) and Into the Silence (Chrysalis 2016). 

What makes your music extraordinary/different?

My work ranges from contemporary classical art songs to experimental acoustic electronic hybrids, to Celtic and New Age folk and rock opera, ballads and meditative chant. A published poet, my poetry was the direct impetus to beginning to write music, resulting in three completed CDs so far and a one woman dance, music and poetry fusion show, Dancing with Dark Goddesses, for which I wrote the music and the words and did the choreography, my aim being to create a full theatrical experience and musical journey with elements of ritual. As a poet and writer, dancer, singer, composer and performance artist who also holds a doctorate from Oxford University, my art has long centred on the desire to encounter the ‘Sacred Feminine’. That is my core inspiration. I also aim to speak with the voice of a mature woman to a mature audience. I would like my work also to offer a kind of spiritual feminism which could speak to many.


What are your plans for the upcoming year? 

The launch of a new poetry collection, Artists and Lovers, forthcoming with Tayen Lane. Completing and releasing my next album, A Net of Souls, most classical of my work which Gunaraga is part of. Begin work on a musical setting of my poetic work on Mary Magdalene in the manner of a ‘sacred drama with music’ – I have been discussing a collaboration with composer Susan Frykberg who I recently met following a talk I gave on Mary Magdalene. And trying to get YouTube and general promotion of my music happening!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EDGY New Film : Special Needs Revolt! A man with Down syndrome is on a mission to save America from a racist dictatorship

Special Needs Revolt!  Is an action-horror-comedy film. The film's hero, Billy Bates, who will be played by up-and-coming actor Samuel Dyer, is a young man with Down syndrome. Billy wakes up from a two-year coma and discovers that the United States has been turned into a brutal dictatorship thanks to President Kruger, to be played by award-winning veteran actor Bill Weeden ( Sgt. Kabukiman   N.Y.P.D. ). Kruger has put all people with disabilities into institutions. Billy becomes the leader of a diverse group of resistance fighters committed to ending Kruger's reign of terror. "Special Needs Revolt!" is also a satire on our current political situation, done in the style of Troma Entertainment. Lloyd Kaufman of Troma will appear in the film.  CHECK OUT THE INDIEGOGO CAMPAIGN:  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/special-needs-revolt#/ Adrian’s latest work  Special Needs Revolt!  may seem edgy and even shocking to some. However, it demonstrates that he is grow

Music Secrets: The Music School Survival Guide

Music Secrets: The Music School Survival Guide Don't have any time to balance rehearsals, exams, and a social life? Then read on!  So you find that between playing in orchestra, the school musical, a solo recital or two, joining Sigma Alpha Iota or Phi Mu Alpha , playing in the alternative band at night, pep band, and marching band that you can't keep your eyes open, let alone study for the music history midterm next week or even begin to write your term paper on Debussy? Then read on and learn to balance life in Music School. 1) Musicians DO need to Sleep   Yes, you need to sleep, even if it is only five hours a night plus catnaps. Your brain cannot function if you do not sleep. So sleep, even if that means that you can't play in that awesome alternative band that jams every other night till 5am at the local bar. 2) Eat right and exercise Okay, so I sound like your parents, or Oprah, but I am serious. My biggest mistake as an undergrad (well, one of my bigges

Percussion Instruments 101: How to Play the Concert Triangle

PHOTO"wikimedia.org Percussion Instruments 101: How to Play the Concert Triangle There are literally hundreds of concert percussion instruments in use every day throughout the world. Whether you are playing percussion in a drum circle in Ghana , a jazz band in New Orleans , or a symphony orchestra in Sweden, you are playing an instrument that has traveled and mutated throughout the globe. The percussion instrument the triangle , is a metal rod bent into the shape of a two dimensional geometric triangle with one of the bottom corners disconnected to allow sound waves to escape. The concert triangle often has a slight difference, in that it may have a hole in one corner to loop a piece of nylon to hang the concert triangle. If it is an Alan Abel triangle, it will have a slight difference in the open end. That angle will end in a different thickness, supposedly to help the triangle sound to escape better acoustically. The triangle may be struck near one of the closed an